Friday, June 18, 2004

It's Kansas

So much to tell everyone about the trip and what we have found here. I need to save more time to do this every night...I forget too many of the good things that I want to tell you.

The Trip: Missouri to Kansas

I must tell you that it's nice to be able to spell Missouri now. I couldn't until we stayed there for several days.

The trip from eastern Missouri to Kansas (about 500 miles) was broken into two days of traveling. On Tuesday night we stayed at Stockton Lake in a Corps of Engineers Park. We and our traveling companions were the only two campers in our section of the park.

It was a wonderful place. Definitely quiet with a beautiful lake. Unfortunately too many trees precluded internet access (that's why you didn't hear from me).

The most splendid thing about this park was the lack of light pollution. In other words...it was DARK at night. When I let Chester out at 2:30AM I actually saw the Milky Way for the first time in 40 years...yes really it has been that long.

Having been so long since I saw that many start, they looked strange to me. It was as if many of them we "bulbs" just shining in the sky. With the lack of twinkle, I wondered if they might be planets...but then I was not fully awake at this point.

I wish now that I had grabbed my robe and gone to stand in the clearing near by to enjoy the view; but alas, sleep and good sense overtook me and I returned to bed. The next chance like that that I get, I will spend more time looking rather than sleeping.

We took major back roads across Missouri and the view was incredible. Missouri grows lots of hay for very few animals. We wondered for quite a while where all that hay is sold or how else it is used...actually, we are still wondering.

We had a convoy of motorhomes and travel trailers by the time we reached Hutchinson (the Rally city). I guess everybody was coming this way.

Kansas State Fairgrounds

This place is HUGE. We will definitely get our exercise walking from here to there.

After about 3 hours getting parked, we are here safe and sound. Organization of the volunteers is a little disorganized...but then that's about par of the course. The dinner was good and the company fun.

We have met several very nice people. There seems to be a common thread in all RV'ers (they are weird like we are). Someone is always there to help or to share stories and experiences. It's like the old bar scene...you'll tell a stranger all sorts of things.

The Fairgrounds has an interesting display outside their craft building. Of all things a mosaic car. I was surprised when I saw it since I know that Mosaic Mom is about to start on a similar project. I can hardly believe that there will be more than one mosaic car in the world.

The dragon on the other side of the building was whimsical and fun.