The week ended with as much excitement as it began. After two days and three nights without rain (and this is really significant when you're parked in the mud) the talk Thursday was for rain overnight. To make matters worse, the winds changed dramatically during the evening show. It's amazing how cold a north wind can be after a 100 degree day.
We chose not to risk being stuck and left the area even as the entertainment was in progress. It was hard to believe that it was June in Kansas as we watched temperatures drop into the 60s in the short before we left town. We drove about 70 miles to a place with a good concrete parking lot (the nearest Flying J truck and RV stop) and spent the night safely parked between two "big-rigs". We never know there was wind once we were parked.
We awoke this morning to 58 degrees and beautiful weather for traveling...yes, it really is June in Kansas (and Nebraska) with a high today of only 73 degrees and humidity around 40%. A summer like this I can really stand.
I finally decided that I was brave enough to attempt to drive today. Now, you must realize that the road was not only flat...but really, really straight. It has been a long time since I could see 10-15 miles without a single curve or hill. I managed to keep the rig on the road and even get it out of and back into two truck stops without hitting anything. I was surprised that other than keeping the speed up, driving this thing is really not difficult at all...oh yeah, I even drove through on town...stop lights and all. I guess I'm experienced now and have no excuse not to help with the driving.
Early today we saw the truck in the photo. Look carefully at the two signs on the back. It tells you in a way that is very much to the point that you are not to pass on the right.
|
|
Did I tell you that Nebraska is really flat...it seems that I can find flat wherever I go. This is not really fair. Not all of Nebraska is this flat. Some of it is beautifully rolling...although the grass and trees are sparse compared to what I always knew in the South.
It's off to South Dakota tomorrow. This "trip" is really fun. As I zoomed in on the mapping program tonight to North Platte, Nebraska, I realized just how far we've come and just how much we've seen. There is still lots more out there just waiting for us.
As always, if you have questions or just want to stay in touch, click the link below to send me a personal e-mail.
mobilebabe@cloningsoftware.com

