Monday, June 21, 2004

The Great North American RV Rally

Well the Rally began. From what I can tell if a rally draws more than 5 people, it will being rain with it. This one is no different. The stories around here tell of rain at every rally that has ever been held. From Perry, GA to Louisville, KY to here (Hutchinson, KS) last year AND the year before that. There seems to be something magic about bringing this much portable housing together in one place.

Anyway, the rain is just that...rain and lots of it. Kansas is officially 5 inches ahead in rain for the year: all of it coming this month...no, I am not kidding. The only good thing is that it rains only at night. Each day is dry and sunny making things much more bearable and the mud at least a little more solid.

We spent Saturday and Sunday fulfilling our volunteering duties. Rather than five 5 hour shifts, we worked in 10 hour shifts and finished before the show actually began. We are now free to enjoy the show.

We were traffic directors for two days. The first day was a little boring since no one was using the entrance we were directing. It made for a slow day especially with drizzly rain and 60 degree temperatures (yes, Kansas does not know that it is supposed to be summer!!).

Sunday brought with it more excitement and traffic. The day went more quickly as we gave instructions to each coach to be parked. Also, the day turned out sunny...that is after AM rain and 50 mile per hour winds (that I almost could not stand up in)...boy was I glad when that ended. We were really tired by day's end. In a way it was fun as we gave instructions and directed traffic.

The show today was interesting and informative. I admired the cleaning company that suggested other common products along with their own. There are lots of "gimmicky" things here that are awfully easy to buy. I need to be less gullible tomorrow. A new set of cookware suddenly became mine today...I'm really not sure how...it really did just jump out and grab me as I walked by...this is dangerous.

Several repair guys are scheduled for tomorrow...this is really convenient.

The evening's entertainment was The Temptation Review. The last surviving member of the Temptations has teamed up with four other individuals to do original music of the group in the same style. It was great fun and quite a show.

Back to the weather in Kansas...we have been told be locals that tornados do not hit this far north in the state. I realize that anything can change and can happen at any time; but, do not worry about us.

It is raining and with the rain there are brilliant displays of lightning (brilliant display does not describe it well. On Thursday night we watched the lightning in the distance for at least two hours before the storm arrived. Then I watched it as the storm hit and it passed over. It was really neat being able to pretty well tell right when the storm was overhead and when it had passed). The winds are not terribly bad during these storms.

We lower the satellite antenna and unplug the transmitter so as not to invite the lightning to us. We feel safe enough that we are generally asleep again even before the storm ends. Chester, on the other hand, does not share my attraction to the lightning. He manages through it in my lap, hiding beneath my robe, as I sit on the floor in the place with the fewest windows. He even managed to sleep before the storm's end last night.

The winds are up a little and the shy was piled with black clouds when the sun went down. I hope that with the winds from the South this time that the storm will pass without raining tonight. We need some days (and nights) without rain if we are to get out of this field easily on Friday.

I will try to get and post photos tomorrow.

As always, if you have questions or just want to stay in touch, click the link below to send me a personal e-mail.
mobilebabe@cloningsoftware.com