Thursday, January 13, 2005

Yo..Ho and Blow...

When the wind blows in Texas, it does it seriously. We traveled in that wind yesterday. Luckily most of the trip was into it. Our fuel mileage dropped from about 10 MPG to 6...just because of the wind.

Once we turned sideways in the wind things became really interesting. It was so strong that it blew the steps open. We had to stop twice to tuck them back into place. On the second stop we tied them as well as we could on short notice. I was really glad I had done that through the 11 miles of construction with its high, close walls.

A day like that would have been better spend sitting and waiting for the front to pass.

Saw an interesting sight yesterday...unfortunately I missed a photo op on it. The Texas police had a train stopped. I could see a caption of "They'll stop anything in Texas for speeding". As it turned out, it was border patrol who stopped the train. I would be this is more normal a practice than I first imagined...it just seemed strange there in the middle of nowhere.

We are now in Donna, Texas not a stone's throw from Mexico. There are even exits off the hiway for Mexican cities. It seems strange to someone not accustomed to this part of the country. We're here for at least a week...maybe longer.