Mississippi gathered lots of points yesterday in the "I like this state" contest that I'm conducting...secretly.
First, entering the state. There are beautiful big magnolia trees lining the interstate highway. I think this is true on almost every road into the state. I remember seeing the magnolias on the back roads that I used to take from Huntsville to Starkville. I liked them then and I still consider them a really nice touch. You definitely know you're entering Mississippi.
Second, the campground last night. WOW. This place was gorgeous. It made me wish that we were not on a schedule for meeting friends in Louisiana. I would have stayed several more days. We were on a flat concrete pad next to a large lake facing almost due west. The sunset was spectacular then the moon out did that. Had it not been for the tree outside the window of the camper, we would have had light to read by in our bedroom. Once the moon set, the stars took over. There were lots of stars covering lots of sky.
Third, Mississippi accents. When authors of novels describe a woman's voice as "thick, soft, and honey sweet" they must be talking about someone they heard in Mississippi. As it turns out, a Mississippi accent in a man is just as distinctive. It has been a long time since I heard that particular drawl. I had forgotten how much I love the sound of it.
Now, on to Louisiana. The best thing about this state is the name of the town through which we entered... Bogalousa. There was not much there other than a papermill, a new Federal department of Agriculture building, and a new Southern Horticulture Research center which is still under construction. Sounds like some Federal money passes through this town...and the name is really interesting.
We caught up with our friends at the park. This park is not as nice as the last; but it will do for a few days. We plan to be in New Orleans more than we are here anyway.