And you're wondering... What is this??
This is La Grande Arche. This is a moment from my past.
I can remember this building being on the cover of a civil engineering magazine in the late 80s: the same time I was in school for civil engineering and working for a geotechnical firm (foundation engineers).
The building was a marvel of engineering given the open space. Nothing had been built like it on this scale before.
Turns out the time table is exact. The building was dedicated in 1989. The design had been selected as part of a contest.
However it happened, I can't believe I got to see it!!! It was every bit as awe inspiring as any of the other monuments and castles in this city.
From a different angle you can begin to get the feel for how big this building is!!
The visit to this building is truly the crown jewel of this trip.