Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Discrimination

Discrimination...Lived with it in the 60s. At the time, I was not in the group being discriminated against. Never really though about how it felt. Now I know.

Has breakfast at a McD's in Milwaukee. A nice enough area of town; but I was definitely in the minority.

Waited for someone to place a rather large order. Was the only one waiting. Suddenly several others entered the store and behold, another register was opened to accommodate them...they were not my race.

Finally was able to place my order.

Watched as all other orders were filled including several for people who came in after me...it's early; I've had no coffee; the fuse is short!!

Finally as I stood there alone after everyone else has moved off to tables with their food, the manager notices me standing there and asks what he can help with. I mention that I am still waiting for the order for the tray that has been sitting by the register all this time.

So they gather the goods...hastily.

I ask for fresh coffee. It had been there quite a while. Glad I did since the first batch came from the bottom of the pot. They'll have to brew more.

Couldn't eat what we got. Whether the anger or the grease I decided it was best that I did not put that food in my stomach.

I guess that's the rage that fuelled the riots that were a part of the 60s and still occur at times even today.

You never really understand until you experience it.