Monday, August 25, 2008

Pitter..Patter of little feet

I knew better than to think that my 3-ft chicken wire fence would stop the deer. They can step over it as easily as I can. But, they had stayed out of the garden..or at least I thought they had.

When I planted the garden I asked God for enough of a bounty to share. I did not specify with whom I would be sharing. Turns out that God is directing the deer in that endeavor.

Last night they ate the tops of the beets and not the beets. Most of the leaves off the beans and not the beans. The okra leaves to the point that there is not hope...there wasn't much anyway. They skipped the jalapenos this time...although now I know it was deer the first time.

I was surprised to discover how gentle they can be. The plants were not hurt. The beets were not pulled from the ground. Just all the leaves eaten.

I guess I can share with them too...although I am doubtful that next time I will be so lucky!