Yesterday we ate until we were silly... as if we're not at other times. So, today it was time for a lighter fair.
Now, I may make fun of Midwesterners for their lack of variety in their diets, but there is one dish I am glad I met... potato soup. When you grow potatoes as well as they grow around here, you learn to do a lot of things with them.
I made it from a mix before I learned how easy it is. Basically, really thin mashed potatoes. I mean REALLY thin. Rod likes it chunky. That's easy to do when I make it.
Every time I make it now it's different. It's one of those recipes that is dependant only on what I have in the house in addition to potatoes, celery and onions. Tonight I added bacon and sauteed the onions, celery and carrots in the bacon grease... well, I was going to add butter... so I used a different fat for flavor. When you're making a 12 cup pot full, you can handle a couple of tablespoons of fat.
To thicken I took out several cups and pureed them in the blender. Then poured them back in with 1/2 cup of sour cream... I did not say this was completely healthy.
Several bowls later we forced ourselves to quit eating... and I thought this would be a light meal... wrong.
The leaf overs will be great tomorrow with an evening temperature of 20 degrees. It's that time of year for soup.
I guess the turkey sandwiches will have to wait.