Monday, December 01, 2008

The Moon over Rapid City

The heavens provided a spectacular show tonight.
It started with the crescent moon hovering close to
Jupiter and Venus. All glowing large and bright
in the southern sky.

Later, when I looked again, Jupiter and Venus had
vanished leaving the Moon alone to dance
along the ridge of the hills.

We turned south and I watched the Moon flirt
with the edge of the Earth
as if trying to seduce it to open and let it in.

As we continued south and the Moon moved to the west,
it tried with little success to hide behind each of two
radio transmission towers. The Moon was just too large
now at the edge of the earth to successfully hide there.

I lost site of the crescent image at a traffic light.
I feared not getting to see its crooked smile again tonight
before it slipped behind the edge of the world.

It peeked out again just briefly before in a moment of
modesty, it grabbed a cloud behind which to hide as it
slipped into the folds of the Earth.

The enchantment of the dance ended for tonight. I was
better for having had a chance to enjoy it!!