Holiday weekends are busy times for us here in the park. First, we have the weekend which is always busier than during the week...then you add a holiday and things are really hopping.
The park was full. One Sunday we were working to fit 18 coaches into 15 spaces...that was a trick. Between "no-shows" and those who left early, we made it without hard feelings...that's the real trick.
One of the groups here for the weekend...actually for the last six days..was a Winnebago/Itasca tour group. The group had planned activities for each day they were here. They also had pets... more pets than I imagined. I offered to walk dogs especially on the days that they were gone for 12+ hours. This came a quite a relief for the owners. Little did I know when I made the offer that I would end up with 9 coaches and 12 dogs!! Needless to say, I got my exercise over the last few days.
The fireworks at Mt Rushmore added drama to the weekend. At 10:00AM you could park only within 3 miles of the place. 20,000 people waited all day for 30 minutes of fireworks..then it took them about 3 hours to get home. I have trouble thinking that anything is worth that kind of hassle!! The event was televised by the local station. That suited me just fine. Turn off all the lights and you would think you were there....and it was quieter!!
So a belated Happy July 4th to you all from the City of Presidents.