Thursday, October 07, 2004

Happy Birthday to me...yesterday

What I learned and saw on my 50th birthday...

1) It is not good to eat Skittles and a Skor bar in the same afternoon...even if it is my birthday

2) When you travel for 9 hours across fairly rough roads, you are tired just as if you have worked all day.

3) If you don't write things down, you forget that you want to talk about on your blog...this is frustrating.

4) It is important to remember somebody the day of their birthday. Days ahead and days after may make the event last longer...but they are not nearly as important...especially on special birthdays.

5) Decade birthdays are always special.

6) At 20 I was busy going to school. At 30 I was busy waiting for a chance to be a mother. At 40 I was busy running my own business. At 50 I am finally busy living.

7) We have finally figured out this traveling thing....you go...you stay if you like the place..then you go somewhere else just because you want to. What is fun about this is if something better comes along...you just stay longer to enjoy it. It's harder now than ever to make and keep commitments. ..but I promise we'll try.

8) Whoever invented squeeze mayonnaise should be shot. It makes it way too easy to use too much when there is no easy way to return the extra to the jar.

9) When Rod had his 50th birthday a few weeks ago I really dreaded having mine...knowing it was coming in just a latter of days was the worst part. Now that I have had the big 50 birthday...I find that it's not so bad.

10) I feel healthy. My weight is reasonable. I am flexible. I can still walk and run. I am still very alert and mentally active. Being 50 isn't so bad. I plan for 60 and even 70 to be just as good. And for the first time, I am looking forward to those decades!!

On another note, we spent the morning of my birthday running out to the Amish Cheese factory. The cheese is so good. There was a livestock sale and flea market in the town we went through going to the cheese shop. I say this "vehicle" as we passed. I found it a rather unique way to transport a goat to market.