Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Goshen Indiana and its Trains

You would think that three days in Goshen Indiana would be uneventful. This is a sleepy little town in northern Indiana not far from the Michigan. It's in the middle of Amish country with RVs as it's major industry.

Sounds picturesque and for us informative...until you realize that every train that travels across this country goes through this town...TWICE...at least. To emphasize that point, we are staying on property that adjoins the tracks...two sets of them!! One Sunday night if there was one train, there were at least 40 between midnight and 6:00 AM.

And yes, they blow their horn for the crossing at the edge of the property. Some of the engineers apparently have a terrible sense of humor and they blow their horns repeatedly all the way along the row of RV...I bet it's no fun for them when no one is camped here.

Other excitement has come in the form of a white skunk...thought to be a cat beneath the camper...a black skunk and at least one smaller skunk...and those are only the ones I saw. Pure Chester is beside himself. He wants to go outside so badly...but he really does not want to tangle with those furry things. Good choice.

We have seen several different kinds of campers and RV's being built. It's an interesting process. It's amazing that all the rough pieces fit together to form such a smooth shiny end product. We learned that the sofa in an RV or camper is built in with the walls...so much for changing out the one I have. At least I know now not to try.

The most amazing sight of our stay happened Sunday morning when we awoke at 6:00AM to frost on the ground...and this is only October 3. Then on Monday night, our water was turned off in anticipation of a freeze. After dropping to 30 degrees, we agreed that it's time to head south.

We are off tomorrow to the cheese factory hoping for Swiss curd and other goodies. I would be SO FAT if I lived up here. The cheese is so good!!