Chalon-sur-Saône, France . This is where we are today. It's a university town. A university of technology is here (an engineering school)... we could relate to that.
Finally found a hotel with a room available. That did not work well. I guess "wandering around the south of France and getting a hotel at day's end" is not the best idea in the world... we have reservations for the next two days.
We will be in Millau, France for those two days. Bridges... can't wait. The longest bridge in the world spanning two mountain peaks. Given the ones we already crossed coming out of Germany... this will be an experience. The next day we will see Roman remains... imagine an aqueduct still standing. I find that amazing!!! I guess the fathers of mathematics really did know what they were doing.
Someone in Germany accused us of "not experiencing local culture" since we are trying to see all of Europe in a few days. I take offence to that. The local cheeses tonight for dinner attest to the fact that we definitely do experience local culture. I never knew the local French farmers could create something that smelled so bad yet tasted so good. Now not only do I know... but I have experienced. I'll take that over a museum any day.
More tomorrow!!