Friday, July 05, 2013

Oh the Wonderful and strange things we've seen

So we'[re at McDonalds getting coffee.  It's servered to us in a bathroom Dixie cup... you know the size.  We're disappointed... but then we are up for two days.  Boy can they pace a punch in a small package.

I'm driving when we leave McDonalds.  I think the hotel is to the right so I go that way as Rod asks... why did you go this way???  I'll just go up here and turn around... right  Two and a half hours later after roaming through the back country... no we were never lost... right!!  We come back down the exact same hill.  At least I knew where we were when we got back.

Visited Roquefort the home of Roquefort cheese.  Interesting story.  Amazing what marketing can do to make an accidental contamination acceptable.  There are three caves and three different "strains" of the cheese.  One is actually a little sweet... what are we eating!!!  Rod and I figure it is not a natural as it once was since they now reproduce the mold on a bread they bake just for that.  Makes a great tourist exhibit at $5E per person.  Those caves are still making money.

Had breakfast yesterday morning in the shadow of the castle overlooking the valley.  That is really neat history knowing that the Lord of the castle once ruled everything in the valley.  Once we knew the story, we watched for the castles... some big... some small... all on the highest hill of the valley.

This place is one huge sinkhole!!!  Again, form the Roquefort story.  Then paying attention to the exposed rock at the top of the valley and how steep the decent to the river is... this is a sink hole... albeit an old one.

Tonight in Basel Switzerland.  This is a big crazy city!!!  Maybe if we stayed a while I would come to like it.  First impressions... I'm ready to leave.  I liked the countryside better.

Off the Hamberg today.  Think we'll stay there several days before we leave on Wednesday.

More later.

A little backwards here... this is a shot from the show.  At least I can finally upload photos.