Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

We don't need three day weekends!! I am SOOO tired.

The weekend included... work on boards... always... construction on a new project.... a graduation party for a friend's daughter... yard work.... gardening....and a little sleep now and then.

I am bruised... sore... and tired. Rod can't get out of his chair and Jack is already asleep. It's a quiet night.

Garden number three started today. If nothing else, I learned that it's easier to tend the cucumbers if I put the plants on the outside of the climbing frame. Given the deer can reach over and get them, this may not work after all.

I think I have outsmarted the deer... right, like this is possible. I have eliminated their landing spot inside the fence. I did this by accident last year and thought I saw results. We'll see soon if I was right.

What you see here are strawberries... the big things in the foreground. Strawberries seem to like the cool weather. They have been growing since April... even with the snow. After that we have zucchini, cucumbers, onions (several are volunteers from last year), hot peppers. In the second bed we have squash... lots of squash..., bell peppers, potatoes (curious about how these grow. They were sprouted red potatoes from my kitchen), butternut squash (outside edge... it will get the entire corner of the garden plot to spread.).

Will keep you posted with other photos as things progress. Although there was so much else to do, it seems my desire to dig in the dirt was just too strong!!

With a little luck and no hail in July, I should have produce by August!!

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. Happy Memorial Day to everyone!!