There is a bridge over the railroad tracks on a main street in Rapid City.... sorry, no photo available...use your imagination. This is a 4 lane bridge that is probably the length of a football field. To better carry the loads the bridge arches up slightly.
Originally there were steel railings on the sides of the bridge. Now there are concrete barriers...probably the result of someone driving through the steel rails...or the fear that they would.
There is no sidewalk on this bridge. There are no sidewalks leading up to this bridge. This road is the closest thing we have to an expressway into town. I travel it every time I go into town as do hundreds of other cars and all the truck coming out of Nebraska. It is the link between Nebraska and I-90 east and west. This is a BUSY road. The bridge is not meant for foot traffic.
So today as I was motoring into town, there balanced on TOP of the concrete barriers was a young lady walking across the bridge. Realize, she was walking on about a 5-inch "path" along the top of the barriers. While that was not so bad... gymnasts balance on a beam about that size, she was wearing an over sized backpack that must have been affecting her center of gravity... and then there were the cars speeding past beside and below her at 40+ MPH.
Although she was almost across and seemed confident in her stride, I feared for her safety and doubted her judgement.
Did we all do stupid things like that at that age???