Sunday, May 29, 2011

Happy Memorial Day

The Memorial Day holiday. The unofficial beginning of summer and summer tourist season. It's 48 degrees and raining. Some start to summer!!!

I realize that I said at one time that I like living where it is cooler... but this is ridiculous! The weather has been less than normal everywhere this Spring. I guess we are no exception.

We did get a chance to work outside yesterday. Sunshine with a breeze... perfect for moving dirt, mowing grass, and running the tiller.

As we worked, I realized that if I had never lived in South Dakota I would have never

- known that Ponderosa Pines smell like vanilla.

- seen a Western Yellow Tanager

- seen Marian turkeys in the wild

- seen a fawn only a few hours (if that) old... that was quite a sight!!

- really know where Mt Rushmore is.

- known how rhubarb grows.

- known what it's like to be the supervisor for the Baked Goods at the county fair.

- known what it was like to have snow on May 23... two years in a row.

- known several wonderful people who call this area home.

- known that the sun can come up at 3:30 AM... the turkeys taught me that one.

- known that it is possible to be comfortable without a coat in 20 degree weather.

- known that a Titmouse can be so brave.

- that a honey bee can chase away a 25 lb turkey... that was a sight.

So, I must say that my life is richer for having been here.

This is my memorial day... may yours be filled with summer fun.