It wasn't to London to visit the queen...but it was to Alaska. We are just back from our cruise. What an experience...in several ways. I'll recap today and get photos up over the next several days.
Sailing is not quite my cup of tea. Now, Aunt Teri would have loved it...actually, I would recommend a cruise to you..although I don't think they'll let you drive the boat this time. To me it was way too much water with nothing new to look at.
Then the seas rose...30 feet worth of rising. We were never in any danger; however, it sure was rough and I sure was sick!!! So were lots of folks. Luckily, that lasted only the first day....most of it!!
Alaska is an interesting place. Juneau, the state capitol, is not accessible by road...at all..can you imagine!! Rainfall is measured in feet rather than inches. The plant life is spectacular....not at all what you'd expect. I even saw azaleas in bloom. If they can have them, I wonder if they will grow in South Dakota???
Skagway was about the same. The disappointing thing about both cities was the number of tourist shops and the junk they were all selling. I never realized that this was the major trade of these towns; but I guess when 2000 - 6000 tourists arrive EVERY DAY from May until September, you make a business out of it. I can't say as I blame them.
Glacier Bay is a spectacle beyond words. The photos I will post do not begin to capture the magnitude of the area. We were fortunate to get to sail to within 1 mile of John Hopkins glacier (yes, the university guy...he did this first). That glacier is 5 miles wide...that's quite a hike for someone camping there..and they do camp on the glaciers.
Ketchican was a nice city compared to the other places we'd seen. We managed to find a few places away from the tourists and explored the town on our own. It made for a nice day. This place gets 150 inches of ran a year.
Our last day at sea was filled with wildlife. We spotted whales...way off and small. It's a real trick if you get to see one. Seals...close and personal. I think they were hoping for a handout. Porpoises...lots and lots of them. And an eagle being chased by a seagull. This was especially interesting since we watched it from above the two birds. Quite a site.
I'm of for now. Going to work on photos for publication later. Glad to be back in the lower 48!!