Living in South Dakota and bring with it many new and interesting experiences. We were at the property later one evening than usual...about dusk...when a young mule deer buck became very interested in us. VERY INTERESTED!!
I don't know if it was that he had never seen people and was just curious or if he just didn't know to be afraid of us. His curiosity brought him to within about 15 feet of us. All I could think of was a video I've seen on TV where the deer is attaching the man...I was a little uneasy about how close he was getting.
We let him stand and sniff for a minute of two while we looked him over. A few shouts, arm swings and foot stomps made him think better about coming closer. A slight charge in his direction sent him running...Thankfully.
He was the first of probably 50 we saw as we left that evening. We will have to plan our travels to keep us off the road after dark...especially this time of year.
The house is progressing slowly. We are pulling the trees that we cut last week out of the way to make room to clear the actual building site. We can see it taking shape although it is a mess right now.
Other plans are on hold at the moment until after October 1. We leave next Wednesday for two weeks....the second of which will be spent in Alaska!! I'll fill you in when we get back.