Wednesday's dinner was such fun to prepare. I got Rod involved. With two pans of stirfry going there was no way one person could get them both done without over cooking one. So he did the vegies while I did the main course.
As we began we talked about how cooking methods have changed. Stir fry with minimal or no oil and roasting are now my favorite two methods. Very little (other than pasta and rice) is boiled any longer. I have even learned a new way to boil the dog's chicken. Makes it come out nice (I can even use some of it) rather than rubbery and hard. The water boils. The chicken cooks in the hot water. Works really well and does not boil over.
Anyway back to dinner. Rod prepared fried cabbage... we're going to do this with just a little water and no oil next time. I put out several spices and told him to choose by smell. He did VERY well. A little oregano and cumin then Chinese 5 spice and a touch of salt. A squeeze of lime really finished it off although it was surprising how much of the flavor of the other spices was lost when I added the lime.... interesting!
At the same time I worked on fajitas. What a great way to use left over steak. Onion, bell pepper, steak and an Old El Paso seasoning mix for sauce.... yum.
So now instead of all that rice and beans we had fajitas with fried cabbage, onions, bell pepper and a little steak. Different and really good!!
These 15 minute meals make dinner easy.