The couple next door, Tammy and Carol, are really into gardening. I'm glad since I have given up my garden to the rabbits.... yes, in South Dakota it was the deer... here it is the rabbits... a different furry rat!!!
The season began with tomato plants in gallon pots from Costco. These things were HUGE and already covered with tomatoes. I could hear voices in my head reminding me that the plant can't do well trying to get established in the ground and trying to keep the fruit going. I had my doubts about the success of these plants.
Adding to the distress... the weekend they put these in the ground, the weather dropped into the 40s. My hope for success was further reduced.
Well, let me tell you, these are hardy plants. After a little pruning, this is how they look now.
They wanted tomatoes in June (well almost) rather than waiting until August... looks like they succeeded!!!
Kudos to you both!!
PS..That's my grape plant in the background (upper left). It has completely engulfed the arbor and is moving into the tree. That will do for this year since most of the new growth will be pruned at the end of the season. Seems I got more of a reaction than expected when I applied miracle grow a few weeks ago. This thing makes such a good screen that I plan to plant several along the other fence too. No fruit yet. I'm told this is only the third growing season and that the vine was never well cared for. It's pretty and green and the rabbits don't eat it. It can stay for now.
