Any book that pokes fun at do-it-yourselfers always has jokes depicting a husband asking his wife to hand him things as he works. Well I'm here to tell you that when your husband is on a platform 16 feet above the floor without steps back to the floor, you have all the power to turn that joke into anything you want.
I am the helper who runs around getting things as Rod works off the platform. Anything from wrenches, hammers, screws, nuts and bolts, etc. are found and passed to him. It works well. I don't work well in the air: he does not have to waste time climbing down to find, get or cut.
Today he asked for two things that were almost outside my abilities...but then, "Let's try". The first was the horizontal rail for a 14 foot solid garage door. Now remember, the larger and heavier the door, the larger the steel rails. These were hefty numbers!! But, I did it. Then I was even able to pull the back end of the rail into place with the rope over the rafter...no small feat without a pulley. Did not drop it once!!
Then with the top rails in place, there was the "Hand me the last section of the door." Big piece...actually lighter than the rail.
The doors are in. Can't be opened yet... but that will be taken care of later this week...sounds like a good job for Thanksgiving Day.